Great for Veganuary or any time of year, these vegan berry pavlovas are sure to get your mouth watering! Learn how to make them in this easy recipe...
Who would know that the cooking water from chickpeas could produce an amazing dessert?! Top with a delicious coconut cream and lots of fresh, wonderful berries for a fabulous pudding.
Vegan berry pavolva
- Serves – 8
- Prep time – 20 minutes plus overnight chilling
- Cook time – 2 hours
You will need
- 400g can chickpeas
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 x 400ml coconut milk, chilled overnight in the can
- finely grated zest, 1 lime
- 25g icing sugar, sifted
- 600g mixed strawberries (hulled and sliced)
Celebrate the wonderful world of cake and get your regular sugar fix with Cake Decoration & Sugarcraft magazine – packed with step-by-step tutorials, techniques, tips, inspiration and all the latest trends!
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas mark 4. Line two baking trays with parchment. Drain the chickpeas over a large bowl (it’s the water or aquafaba you want but you can use the chickpeas in another recipe). Use an electric whisk to whip the water into soft peaks, which will take around five minutes.
- Add the vinegar and continue whisking for another minute. Gradually add the caster sugar a spoonful at a time with the whisk running and continue whisking for another couple of minutes until smooth, shiny and increased in volume.
- Spoon or pipe the mixture into eight rounds about 10cm each. Reduce the oven to 120°C/fan 100°C/gas mark ½ and bake for two hours until they're firm and dry on the outside. Open the oven and leave the meringues in the oven to cool with the door ajar.
- Open the coconut milk and scoop out the solids. Beat this with the lime zest and icing sugar until smooth adding some of the liquid left in the can if too stiff and then use to fill the meringues. Top with the berries and serve.
Ready for another delicious vegan recipe to try? Don't miss this raspberry, coconut and banana loaf.