This easy step-by-step tutorial will show you how to make your own mindfulness jar full of positive quotes and phrases – perfect for a quick pick me up!
Learn how to make a decorative mindfulness jar with this easy step-by-step tutorial, designed by Claire Brudenell. Fill the mindfulness jar with positive quotes and phrases which will help to lift your spirits when you're feeling low. They also make a thoughtful gift which you can send to loved ones to give them a little 'lift' too!
Mindfulness jar tutorial
Designed by Claire Brudenell for Trimcraft.
You will need
- 12x12 Gardenia paper pad & Nature die set by First Edition
- Die-cutting machine
- Large adhesive pearls
- Mini alphabet stamps by Dovecraft
- Black inkpad
- Empty glass jar with lid
- Doilies by Dovecraft
- Marker pen
Top tip! You can use the products used in this tutorial as inspiration, but feel free to adapt and use your own papers and decorations to create your own style!
1. Take an old jar, remove the label and ensure it is clean and dry. You can paint the jar lid to match your jar colour palette if you wish, and allow to dry.
2. Cut a strip of green floral paper to 30.5x6.5cm, wrap around the centre of the mindfulness jar and secure with double-sided tape.
3. Select a doily and fold at the bottom so it is flat. Stick the doily to the strip of green floral paper, lining up the bottom flat edge with the bottom of the strip.
4. Stamp the word ‘mindfulness’ using the mini alphabet stamps on striped paper and cut into a strip, trimming a ‘v’ into the short ends. Repeat this with the word ‘jar’ and stick both strips on top of the doily.
5. Using the die-cutting machine, die-cut six flowers from two different papers. Stick three flowers around the top left of the word ‘mindfulness’ and the other three under the word ‘jar’. Add a large pearl to the centre of each flower.
Top tip! If you don’t have a die-cutting machine, find a flower template online, draw around the template onto the papers and cut them out free-hand.
6. Using a mix of papers, die-cut five butterfly shapes (or find a template online and cut free-hand). Attach one butterfly bottom right of the word ‘jar’ and add a pearl to the butterfly body.
7. Layer two of the butterflies together and bend the wings to create dimension, then stick them top right of the word ‘mindfulness’. Layer another two butterflies together and fix to the left of the doily.
Have you ever thought about crafting more often? Read this interesting article to find out about the positive effects and benefits that crafting has on our mental health!
8. Wrap twine around the neck of the mindfulness jar three times, tying in a knot to secure. Then trim the ends to 2cm long.
9. Cut striped paper to 16x3cm and fringe one long edge with lots of small snips. Add a length of double-sided tape along the very top edge and place a twine end on the tape. Tightly roll the strip to make a tassel and then repeat to make another tassel attached to the other twine end.
Want to see more crafting and card making ideas like this? Subscribe to Making Cards & Papercraft magazine to make sure you never miss an issue! They’re packed with step-by-step tutorials, top tips, inspiration and a gorgeous set of craft papers to use on your next project!
10. Trim a selection of patterned paper into strips of 13.5x2cm. Write your positive thoughts on the strips and place inside the mindfulness jar ready to read when you need a little pick me up – your mindfulness jar is complete!
Top tip! If you struggle with what to write on your strips of paper, check out Pinterest for ideas!
Now you know how to make your own mindfulness jar! Inspired to create more? Watch this fantastic video tutorial on how to make an explosion box card – perfect for any occasion and a great surprise for the lucky recipient!