Learn how to make easy yet effective pop up cards step by step in this tutorial by Kitty Day featuring four different designs – star, heart, balloon and flower – suitable for birthdays, Valentine's Day or any occasion!
Pop up card designs don’t need to be difficult to be effective! This quick and simple 3D pop up cards tutorial is a great way to use up those scraps you have in your paper stash. Kraft card is also great for using with bright colours and you could also try black to make the colours pop!
Why not use the Every Day Sentiments Stamp Set to add that personalised touch to your cards?! The handwritten fonts spell out common sentiments allowing you to send birthday wishes, thanks, congratulations and your love!
DIY pop up cards tutorial
By Kitty Day
You will need
- Kraft & white card
- Selection of patterned papers
- Stars, Circles, Hearts, Flowers dies or handmade templates
- Saying Stuff & Say It All Again stamp sets by Clearly Besotted
- Black fine liner pen
- Create a 10x14cm white card blank with the fold at the top and cover with Kraft card.
- Cut out four star shapes from different coloured papers.
- Score vertically down the centre of each piece, fold and open out. Glue two of the pieces together on one half then repeat until you have your shape. The remaining two unglued pieces can now be glued onto your card front to create the 3D shape.
- Doodle a frame and corners around the card front.
- Add your chosen stamped sentiment to finish.
- Create a 10x14cm white card blank and cover the front with Kraft card.
- Cut out four heart shapes from coloured papers.
- Follow Step 3 from the previous card to assemble the pop-up to the card front.
- Doodle a swirly string with a black pen from the pop-up.
- Add a stamped sentiment of your choice to finish.
Love the idea of making your own cards? Making Cards & Papercraft magazine is for you, packed with seasonal projects, step-by-step tutorials, techniques to boost your skills, inspiration, expert tips and a beautiful set of craft papers with every issue!
- Cover the front of a 10x14cm white card blank with Kraft card.
- Cut out eight circles from patterned papers.
- Using four of them to create the 3D shape following Step 3 of the first card, then repeat with the other four pieces to make a second on the card front.
- Draw some ‘string’ from each shape.
- Add a stamped sentiment to finish.
Top tip! Don’t have shaped dies like these? Why not draw your own shapes and make templates?!
- Cover a 10x14cm white card blank with the fold at the top with Kraft card.
- Cut out eight flower shapes from coordinating patterned papers.
- Follow step 3 from the first card to make the 3D shapes and secure both to the card front.
- Doodle some stems and leaves with a fine line pen from each shape.
- Add a stamped sentiment in the top right corner to finish.