21 February 2020
Moving home is an exciting time for all involved, so if you're wondering what to write in a new home card, we've got you covered!
We all understand the thrill of moving to a new home, whether it's your first place by yourself, a couple's first love nest or the twelfth move in as many years. No matter the circumstances, moving home is often a time for celebration.
While most of the post that will come through a person's new front door are bills, bills and more bills, why not surprise them with a bright and beautiful new home card and cut through all the boring paperwork?
Before you can send your card, though, first you need to write it! It's sometimes surprisingly hard to know what to put in a new home card, so we've got some tips and tricks for you to think about when you write a new home card, plus some choice phrases to get you started if you're still struggling.
What to write in a new home card
- Be personal: even if you're not looking to write an essay, you should still ensure your card is personal. Don't ever send a new home card with 'dear valued friend', that's one way to totally devalue your own card!
- Be optimistic: while moving home is exciting, it's not always necessarily for positive reasons, so keep the cheer going for those who may be struggling. Where you can, include a congratulations with your sentiments.
- Include a method to return contact: while most of us stay in touch via the internet these days, it's always nice to leave another form of contact. They may be a fellow card maker who wants to send a 'thank you' card in return!
- Make a simple gesture: send well wishes for the future, offer your help if it's needed (only if you can - don't go making promises you can't keep).
What to put in a new home card
Short and sweet
Perhaps your recipient is not one for soppy sentiments? Or your card simply doesn't have the space for an essay? Here are a few short and sweet phrases you might want to use:
- Home sweet home!
- You made it!
- All the best settling in.
- Hope all is good in your new hood!
- Congratulations on your new home.
- Here’s to many happy years ahead.
- Wishing you the very best in your new home!
- Who has a new home?! You do!
- We can't wait to visit your new home!
- Many congratulations on your new home sweet home!
- Hooray! You’re officially proper grown-ups now.
- Here’s to making your new place all your own.
- Cheers to you and your new home!
- You’ve moved—so exciting!
- Congrats on the move!
- Hope you find lots of happiness in your new home.
- Cheers to new beginnings!
- Congrats - great adulting!
- Hope your new home is full of happiness!
- Welcome to the mortgage club!
- Yay – you made it into your new home!
If you're more of an essayist or the occasion calls for more heartfelt congratulations and well wishes, here are a few more sentimental phrases and quotes you could use when writing a new home card:
- A house is made of bricks and beams, but a home is made of hopes and dreams.
- All our love for a bright and happy future in your new home.
- May your new home be filled with plenty of love and warmth.
- A new home is a new beginning. I can’t wait to see all that this exciting chapter has in store for you.
- They say that home is a feeling, not a place. Enjoy your new home and congratulations!
- The best thing about a new home is the people who you share it with.
- We can’t wait to come visit, and we hope the whole family is settling in nicely.
- Life takes you unexpected places, love brings you home. Congratulations on your new home!
- Home is where love resides, memories are created, friends always belong, and laughter never ends.
- Home is where your story begins. We are so excited for you and all of the memories you will make in your new home.
- You know what they say: there is no place like home.
- Wishing you all of the love and happiness in the world as you settle in to your new home.
- May the years to come bring you plenty of love and abundance.
- Welcome to your new home. I hope that it is everything that you want it to be.
- A new home is a place for memories to be made and great times to be had.
- Wishing you all the best with your new home – hope it works out perfectly.
- Here’s to turning your new house into a lovely home and it becomes a place of many happy moments.
Fun and cheeky
As with most other occasions, writing a new home card gives the perfect opportunity for humour and laughter in your sentiments. Here's a few you might want to consider:
- So when can I move in?!
- Here’s to hoping that your neighbors don’t drive you crazy. Or (more likely) you don't drive them crazy!
- I know where you live... and I can’t wait to visit!
- Congratulations on your move! Here’s to hoping you really love your new home since you’ll be paying for it for the next 30 years.
- Yay, you’ve moved! Let me know when I can come overstay my welcome.
- While I wasn't able to help you move, I'm very conveniently available to help you drink wine to celebrate!
- I love you with all my heart... but please do not ask me to come help you unpack.
- Congratulations on the new home! I heard it was built on top of an old burial ground, but you should be just fine. Hopefully...
- I’ll let you know when I’m coming to visit so that you can make sure to stock the right snacks.
- Please send your new neighbours my condolences.
- Congratulations on your new home. Sorry that when you needed help I was ill, away on holiday, my car broke down and the dog ate my keys.
- Can't wait to visit your new home... just send the wi-fi password in advance please.
- Well done on buying a house. Please don’t talk about it all the time though, or I will stop hanging out with you.
- I hope you remember this moment in your new home forever. Because it will never be this clean or organised ever again.
- Congrats on the new home, let me know which room is mine.
- Well done on getting yourself in an obscene amount of debt.
- NO I won’t help with the unpacking and YES I would like to come over for free food and drink.
- I can’t wait to overstay my welcome!
- Congrats on moving in together. Remember living together is mainly just shouting “what!?” from different rooms.
- Good luck convincing your neighbours that you’re normal!
- It’s great you finally bought a house; good job they don’t do proper background checks!
- Your new home may have used up all your life savings, you might be in debt up to your eyeballs and never be able to go out again, but here’s a card – well done.
- Your new home is lovely – which is a good job, as you won’t be able to afford to go out anymore!
- Well done on finding a ridiculously expensive place to live.
- Congratulations to you moving and congratulations to me for not having to help you!
Let's get lyrical
Poems, songs and books are all brilliant places to get some really heartfelt quotes about moving home. Here's just a few of our favourites that you're welcome to try out:
No matter who you are or where you are, instinct tells you to go home.
The ache for home lives in all of us; the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned.
Chase your dreams but always know the road that will lead you home again.
Ziad K. Abdelnour
Home is where one starts from.
Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.
Love begins at home.
Home is the nicest word there is.
Laura Ingalls Wilder
There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort.
Where we love is home - home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts.
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.
Where thou art, that is home.
Home is the place we love best and grumble the most.
Seek home for rest, for home is best.
There is nothing more important than a good, safe, secure home.
Be grateful for the home you have, knowing that at this moment, all you have is all you need.
Sarah Ban Breathnach
Strength of character may be learned at work, but beauty of character is learned at home.
Home is the most popular, and will be the most enduring of all earthly establishments.
There is something permanent, and something extremely profound, in owning a home.
With MC&P's help, you'll never be stuck for what to write in a new home card again!
If you found this article on what to put in a new home card useful, why not check out our handy types of greetings card list to help you make cards for all occasions?