Learn how to transform a plain piece of dolls furniture into something special using stencilling in this tutorial by Carol Clarke.
Using a stencilling technique is a quick and effective way to update dolls house furniture into something spectacular. Learn the art of DIY stencilling in this tutorial where shows you how to transform a miniature screen – but you could use any furniture you wish!
You will need
- Dolls house screen (or furniture of your choice)
- Crackle glaze paint (optional)
- Miniature stencil (miniature brass stencils like the one use in this project are available in various designs)
- Acrylic paint (Carol is using blue, magenta and white for the flowers and a blue green for the foliage)
Top tip! Before painting on your chosen surface, experiment with your colours on a sheet of paper.
DIY stencilling tutorial – dolls house screen
1. Prepare your screen by spraying it with a layer of crackle glaze.
2. Once the paint is dry the screen is ready for stencilling. Secure the stencil to the screen with low tack tape and start by painting the largest flower.
Delve into the wonderful world of miniatures with Dolls House & Miniature Scene magazine – packed with techniques, step-by-step projects, artisan interviews, top tips, all the latest trends and so much more. Check out the print and digital subscription offers today!
3. Don't add any water to the paint or your brush. Start in the centre with your darkest colour and work outwards adding white to lighten the shade.
4. Remove the stencil and wipe it clean using a dry tissue. Select a smaller flower for the outer panel and shade the foliage in the same way.
5. Two of the panels are now complete. Simply flip the stencil to give a mirror image for the remaining panel.
6. Add foliage detailing to the top panels. Finish off the screen by sealing with spray varnish.
Why stop there? The decoupage technique is another beautiful way to transform your dolls house furniture and decorative items – as Carol Clarke expertly shows you!