28 April 2021
Create a gorgeous miniature leather handbag for your dolls house or miniature scene in this tutorial by Kati Kainulainen.
Use the simple and easy-to-follow, step-by-step instructions to make your very own luxurious miniature bag!
Luxurious miniature leather handbag tutorial
by Kati Kainulainen
You will need
- Thin leather
- Thick paper
- 6cm piece of metal wire
- Small beads
- Cutting pliers
- Small clamps or clothes pegs
1. Cut two pieces from thick paper. Each piece is 20mm high, 20mm wide across the top and tapers out to 26mm along the bottom.
2. Glue the paper pieces into 8x5cm and place on a piece of thin leather, as shown, with the wide edges facing each other. Leave to dry.
3. Bend the sides of the leather over the paper pieces and glue them in place.
4. Cut the extra leather from the sides by following the edges of the paper templates.
Love step-by-step projects? There’s no shortage in Dolls House & Miniature Scene magazine – it’s THE place to satisfy your passion for miniatures! Plus you'll find lots more, including artisan interviews, inspiration galore and the latest from the world of miniatures!
5. Cut a 6cm piece from the thin metal wire with cutting pliers. Make a knot in the other end of wire and thread your beads. 15 small beads were used in this project. The handle should be about 4cm long. Make another knot to seal the beads in place and bend the handle carefully around a round pen to achieve a nice u-shape.
6. Spread glue on your leather shape and fold in half from the middle.
7. Place the handle and seal with clamps (clothes pegs were used). Form the bag by carefully pressing its lower edge against a table top.
8. Decorate the bag with different pearls, sequins and parts of jewellery. Glue the decorations in place.
Enjoyed this tutorial by Kati? Next, learn how to make a leather suitcase and travel bag.