Follow the simple step-by-step instructions to create your very own crumpled tissue and texture paste background for your cardmaking and papercrafting projects...
This background technique is texture terrific! Using a simple material found in every home, toilet tissue, and adding a gold shimmer you can create a texture that'll impress and call out to be touched.
Crumpled tissue & texture paste background tutorial
You will need
- Walnut Stain and Antiqued Bronze Distress Spray Stains
- White Fire Treasure Gold Wax by PaperArtsy
- Harlequin Layering Stencil by Tim Holtz
- Matte Medium by DecoArt
- Texture paste
- White tissue paper
- White card
- Palette knife
1. Apply Matte Medium to a piece of white card using a paintbrush.
2. Crumple a piece of white tissue paper into a ball quite tightly, ensuring you crumple all the way to the edges.
3. Unwrap the crumpled tissue paper and then place onto the layer of Matte Medium rubbing over the tissue to ensure good contact. Trim away any excess tissue paper overlapping the edge of your card.
Love being creative with your card making? Making Cards & Papercraft magazine is for you packed with projects, inspiration, top tips, the latest products and so much more. Plus, every issue comes with a gorgeous collection of craft papers! Check out the subscription offers today.
4. Place the Harlequin Layering Stencil onto the tissue background and apply Texture Paste over the stencil with a palette knife. Remove the stencil.
5. Repeat this process to add the Harlequin design around the background and set aside to dry. This gives added texture and dimension to the background.
6. Once the background is completely dry, spray with Walnut Stain Distress Spray Stain. Add a second colour by spritzing with Antiqued Bronze Distress Spray Stain, this adds a second layer of colour to the background.
7. Dry the inked background with a heat tool.
8. Apply White Fire Treasure Gold Wax to the background using a finger – this highlights all the wonderful texture from both the tissue paper and texture paste.
9. Continue to apply the wax around the background to highlight all the texture and to add a touch of shimmer.
Next, try a different background texture with this technique that uses salt...