01 January 2021
Learn how to make a hanging calendar to encourage you throughout the year in this papercrafting tutorial – a perfect way to use up craft papers, ideal as a gift or for yourself!
A wonderful way to make someone’s day is to give them some words of encouragement... This DIY hanging calendar provides twelve slots containing envelopes, allowing you to read a sentiment each month. Create as a thoughtful gift, or keep for yourself for added motivation to take time for you this year. These little pick me ups are a great way to add a bit of positivity into your life!
The Hey Little Piggy and Terrazzo craft papers would be perfect for this project! You can purchase them here.
DIY hanging calendar tutorial
You will need
- Making Cards & Papercraft Craft Paper Collection
- A3 black card
- Gold card
- Upper & Lower Windsor Type Alphabet dies & Postal Number dies by Tonic Studios
- Die-cutting machine
- Black & white twine
Top tip! You could always adapt your calendar to add more sentiments for each month!
1. Use the template (or one you’ve created) to cut, score and glue together twelve envelopes using the different free papers (envelopes measure 10x7cm).
Top tip! Plan out the placement first. Once you’ve created your envelopes, lay them out on the card and mark the positions with pencil.
2. Position two pieces of black A3 card with the long sides at the top and bottom on your work surface. Place the envelopes on the card, equally spaced apart and mark the centre point of each one. Using a craft knife, cut an upwards triangle with the point at the centre mark, for each postcard to slot into.
Top tip! For an easy template, use a mini envelope you already have and open it up to draw around. Also look out for envelope dies on the market.
3. Trim a small amount off the top of each cut triangle to create a flat edge.
Want to see more crafting and card making ideas like this? Subscribe to Making Cards & Papercraft magazine to make sure you never miss an issue! Each issue is packed with step-by-step tutorials, top tips, inspiration and a gorgeous set of craft papers to use on your next project!
4. Die-cut the letters for the title and the numbers for the slots from gold card and adhere in place. Add a length of twine to the reverse so you can hang it up.
5. Adhere the two pieces of black card together to form one hanging piece.
6. Create black cards to insert into the envelopes, measuring 8.5x 6cm, and write your message in a colour of your choice. Mount on terrazzo paper measuring 9.5x 7cm, ready to insert in each envelope.
Top tip! Not just for sentiments… Why not list your birthdays to remember and slot them into each month’s envelope?
More positivity coming your way... Learn how to make a mindfulness jar full of quotes and phrases!