In this tutorial, Sara Naumann shows you how to make a gift out of a matchbox, perfect for showing that special someone how much they mean to you at any time of the year – not just Valentine's Day!
This darling little matchbox is the perfect size for a thoughtful gift or message. What will you put inside? We'd suggest a handcrafted message, but chocolate, sweets, jewellery and even a store gift card will also fit inside.
The project is also ideal for decorating with your favourite patterned papers and toppers. If you're looking for some beautiful papers, be sure to check out our online shop which has a gorgeous variety to choose from!
DIY matchbox gift box tutorial
by Sara Naumann.
You will need
(Inspiration only... Feel free to decorate yours with whatever paper and embellishments you have lying around the house to put your own 'stamp' on it!).
- Small white matchboxes
- Foxy & Friends Luxury Card Collection & Paper Pad, & Florabunda Luxury Card Collection & Paper Pad by Hunkydory
- Gold embossing powder by Wow!
- Embossing inkpad
- Adhesive pearls
Love the idea of making your own cards? Making Cards & Papercraft magazine is for you, packed with seasonal projects, step-by-step tutorials, techniques to boost your skills, inspiration, expert tips and a beautiful set of craft papers with every issue!
How to make a matchbox gift box
1. Remove the inside of the box and set aside. Ink the two short ends of the box (where the inside will slide in and out) with embossing ink. Sprinkle with gold embossing powder, tap off the excess and heat set.
Top tip! Before wrapping the box with patterned paper, cut the paper slightly narrower than the box. This gives the white edge of the box another bit of definition.
2. Cut a 10cm wide strip of foiled swirl Kraft card. Secure one short end to the back of the box (it helps to run a bone folder along each edge of the box to create a crease). Glue each side as you go.
Top tip! Use a strong double-sided adhesive to adhere the card to the box, especially with heavier weight card like the foiled Kraft card.
3. Cut an 8cm wide strip of pink floral paper. Ink and emboss as before, wrapping the strip around the centre of the box.
4. Glue the topper to the box top. Use foam pads to add the 'be mine' heart and butterfly. Add gold thread and a pink bow to the top of the oval, adding a pearl to the heart.
5. For the inside: line the inside bottom of the box with floral paper. Ink the edges of the die-cut pink envelope and emboss with gold. Fold and wrap with the heart border. Add the heart and 'with love' toppers, plus the gold thread and a pearl embellishment. Tuck a small note inside the envelope, then place in the box.
Enjoyed making this project? Be inspired by our mindfulness jar tutorial, which you can also turn into a 'date decider' jar!