22 October 2020
Learn how to make a spectacular accordion card in this video tutorial and step-by-step guide from Sam Calcott.
Accordion cards are a great card technique to master! As the name suggests, they open out to create an accordion effect, making a wonderful surprise for the recipient!
This tutorial shows you how to make a butterfly accordion card, but once you’ve grasped the technique you can adapt to any design! Happy card making!
How to make a butterfly accordion card
By Sam Calcott, a.k.a. Mixed Up Craft.
Follow the step-by-step tutorial below or watch the video.
You will need
- Coloured cardstock
- White card
- Hampton Art Butterfly Layer stamp set
Accordion card tutorial
1. Stamp or die-cut your chosen butterfly images to pop up out of the card and fold each one in half.
2. Cut a piece of 12in x 6in coloured cardstock and score along the 12in side at 6in to form your card base. Cut four pieces of 5.3/4 x 5.3/4 white card and four pieces of 5.1/2 x 5.1/2 coloured cardstock to mat and layer all four sides of the card blank.
Love learning new papercrafting techniques? Making Card & Papercraft magazine is for you, packed with step-by-step tutorials, top tips, inspiration and a gorgeous set of craft papers!
3. Adhere your chosen sentiment so you know what space you have to attach your butterflies. Apply some glue to one half of the butterfly and adhere two of the butterflies at either side of the card as shown.
4. Join the butterflies together by adding glue to one side only each time.
5. Attach the final two together so all the butterflies are attached.
6. Decorate the front of the card as desired.
Now you know how to make an accordion card, explore another great technique and learn how to make an infinity card!