16 July 2020
Learn how to make animal pop up cards with this easy 3D birthday card tutorial from Sam Calcott, featuring friendly characters in the party mood!
This adorable animal pop up card is bright, cheery and perfect for celebrating birthdays. Open it up to reveal a pop up surprise featuring three cute animal friends ready for a party with balloons, birthday cakes and treats galore!
Pop up cards use different techniques. This card uses tabs to add the pop up elements.
How to make an animal pop up card
By Sam Calcott, a.k.a. Mixed Up Craft.
Follow the step-by-step tutorial below or watch the video.
You will need
- White card
- Mowed Lawn & Mermaid Lagoon Distress Oxide inks
- Tonic Studio 'Celebrate Life' stamp set
- Coloured pencils or alcohol markers
- Happy Birthday die by Creative Expressions
Animal pop up card tutorial
1. Use a 15cm square pre-bought card blank or, cut a piece of white card to measure 30x15cm and score down the centre at 15cm from either edge then rotate to create your top folding card blank.
2. Cut two pieces of white card to measure 1.5x7cm white card and another piece to measure 1.5x9cm. Score all three pieces at 2cm on one end and 1cm on the other.
3. Using a blue ink create a sky background as per the video above using Distress Oxide inks.
4. Using a green ink create a landscape background as per the video above using Distress Oxide inks.
Love papercrafting? Making Cards & Papercraft magazine is for you – packed with projects, inspiration, expert interviews, tips and tricks, techniques and SO much more! Plus, every issue comes with a gorgeous collection of craft papers!
5. Ink the three white tabs so they match the landscape colour. Using liquid glue, adhere the 2cm and 1cm tab ends evenly onto the card as shown.
6. Stamp and colour your chosen images and attach as desired.
7. Cut white card to 14cm square and decorate the card front to coordinate. Add extra detail to the card inside as desired.
Ready for another pop up card? Learn how to make a pop up cake card and delight your friends and family.