Gluten Free Christmas Cake
We've teamed up with our friends at Doves Farm to give you the best gluten free Christmas cake recipe out there! With the festive season upon us, we're here to help cater for all diets - from gluten free Christmas cake to vegan loaves, we want to make sure everyone has the best Christmas ever! This delightful recipe has a five star rating by those who have already tried it (keep reading for their testimonials, tricks and tips!) and creates a classic comfort cake that keeps well and is perfect for enjoying during the winter months...
Gluten Free Christmas Cake
Gluten Free Christmas Cake Recipe - Date and Walnut
This recipe makes one cake that is free from soya and dairy, is vegetarian and organic.
Temperature: 180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4.
Cooking time: 55-60 minutes.
You will need:
20cm/8" round deep, loose bottom cake tin, parchment lined
200g stoned dates (approx. 248kcal)
½ tsp FREEE Bicarbonate of Soda
3 eggs (approx: 150 kcal)
100g brown sugar (approx: 375kcal)
100g sunflower oil (approx: 820kcal)
200g Doves Farm Organic Self Raising Wholemeal Flour (approx: 658kcal)
50g chopped walnuts (approx: 147kcal)
Icing sugar (for dusting)
- Line a 20cm/8” round deep, loose bottom cake tin with parchment paper and pre-heat the oven.
- Put the dates and water into a saucepan and bring slowly to the boil.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the bicarbonate of soda and leave to cool.
- Break the eggs into a mixing bowl, add the sugar and beat together until light and airy.
- Mix in the oil followed by the self-raising flour.
- Stir in the date mixture and walnuts.
- Tip the mixture into your prepared cake tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 20 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Sieve a little icing sugar over the cold cake before serving.
And now you have a wonderful, moist cake that keeps well and could not be more perfect for the cold winter months. For more inspiring recipes from Cake Decoration and Sugarcraft magazine, head over to our website and grab your copy now!
⭐ Reviews ⭐
I was looking for a quick easy cake recipe to use up an excess of dates in my store cupboard and tried this cake for the first time. I used white flour as I did not have any wholemeal and it was absolutely delicious. It had a lovely crispy top and was really yummy. I shall definitely use this recipe again.
19 Mar 2018
Nice cake, especially with the wholemeal texture!
11 Sep 2017
I suggest cutting dates into quarters before bringing to the boil. Also I added a heaped teaspoon of mixed spice to the mixture with the flour which gave a delicious wholesome comforting taste.
13 Jul 2017