Treat your tastebuds to these delicious white chocolate scones by Ruth Clemens, perfect with a cuppa or as an accompaniment to afternoon tea.
This white chocolate scones recipe ticks all the boxes – easy to make (you only need six ingredients) and super tasty. The white chocolate adds a sweetness that makes these scones extra special. Enjoy!
White chocolate scones
By Ruth Clemens.
You will need (makes 6)
- 225g self-raising flour
- 50g cold butter, diced
- 25g caster sugar
- 75g white chocolate pieces
- 120ml milk
- 1 egg for egg wash
How to make white chocolate scones
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
2. Place the flour in a large bowl and add the cold diced butter. Rub the butter into the flour using your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. Stir through the caster sugar and white chocolate pieces.
4. Make a well in the centre and add the milk. Combine together using a table knife – this prevents the dough from becoming overworked and tough.
Get endless tasty content like this with Cake Decoration & Sugarcraft magazine where you’ll find recipes, sugarcraft tips and techniques, expert advice, inspiration and the latest from the world of cake decoration!
5. When the dough has come together turn it out onto the work surface and knead very lightly.
6. Pat the dough out gently to a thickness of 2.5cm (1in). Shaping by hand rather than rolling keeps the dough light and prevents it from compacting.
7. Cut out six rounds with a straight-edged round cutter and set onto a lined or well-greased baking tray.
Top tip! When cutting out scones, avoid twisting the cutter – simply press downwards. The twisting action can seal together the sides of the scone and will stop them from rising beautifully. Fluted cutters can do the same thing so try and stick to a straight-edged cutter.
8. Lightly whisk the egg and brush over the tops of the scones taking care not to get the glaze on the sides as this will seal the dough and prevent it from rising.
9. Bake them right away in the oven for 12-14 minutes until golden.
10. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool. Serve.