Learn how to create a 1/12th scale greenhouse with this easy-to-follow step-by-step tutorial by Kati Kainulainen giving a perfect outdoor space for relaxing.
Think a miniature greenhouse is tricky to make? Fear not! Kati Kainulainen shows us just how easy it is to create this magical miniature in 1/12th scale.
In nine easy steps, you’ll have your very own miniature greenhouse perfect for your miniature scene – whether to complement your dolls house or standalone.
1/12 scale greenhouse tutorial
You will need
- 1cm wide x 2mm thick wooden strips
- PVA glue
- Thin plastic sheets
- White acrylic paint
- Sanding paper
Materials for two roof sections
- 4 x 16.5cm pieces
- 10 x 8cm pieces
- Plus two pieces of thin plastic sheet, 7.5cmx16cm
Materials for two long side walls
- 6 x 16cm pieces
- 4 x 12cm pieces
- 6 x 9cm pieces
- Plus two pieces of thin plastic sheet, 15.5cm x 11.5cm
Materials for two short end walls
- 4 x 12cm pieces
- 6 x 10cm pieces
- 4 x 9cm pieces
- Plus two pieces of thin plastic sheet, 9.5cm x 11.5cm
1. Cut all the pieces from thin, 1 cm wide and 2 mm thick wooden strips and sand the pieces if necessary.
Top tip! An ideal source for this project is an old table mat or Venetian window blind.
2. To create the roof glue five 8cm pieces onto two 16.5cm pieces. Make two of these to form a roof.
3. Make the two long walls by gluing two 12cm pieces onto three 16cm pieces and finally glue the three shortest (9cm) pieces onto the middle. Make two of these walls.
4. Make the short end wall by gluing two 12cm pieces onto three 10cm pieces. Glue two short pieces (9cm) pieces to the middle. Create two of these walls.
Love step-by-step projects? There’s no shortage in Dolls House & Miniature Scene magazine – it’s THE place to satisfy your passion for miniatures! Plus you'll find lots more, including artisan interviews, inspiration galore and the latest from the world of miniatures!
5. Create a doorway by carefully removing one on the bottom strips.
6. Assemble the greenhouse walls by gluing them together. Allow the glue to dry.
7. Assemble the roof by gluing the roof pieces together and leave to set. You can glue the roof in place if you desire but it is easier to decorate by leaving the roof loose.
8. Paint the greenhouse with white acrylic paint.
9. Finish the greenhouse by gluing thin clear plastic sheets within the walls.
And that's it! All it needs now is a personal touch, so make it your own with furnishings and decorations to suit your style.
Continue the garden theme with our ‘miniature garden’ series where you’ll learn how to create your own miniature garden using polymer clay and art clay!