16 September 2021
Learn how to make miniature tiles for your dolls house bathroom or kitchen in this quick and easy tutorial by Kati Kainulainen using air dry clay.
The addition of tiling to a room is the perfect finishing touch and by using air dry clay they’re easily created. This tutorial uses a dolls house bathroom as an example, but you can use the technique for any room in your miniature world – kitchens and beyond!
DIY miniature bathroom tiles tutorial
By Kati Kainulainen.
You will need
- White air dry clay
- Large ornamental stamp
- Sharp knife
- Acrylic paint
- Rolling pin
- Clear varnish
- Sanding paper
1. Press and roll the clay lightly until smooth, 4mm thick and with a diameter of 10cm.
2. Measure and lightly mark out a 1x1cm grid on your clay sheet.
3. Press the ornamental stamp onto the clay.
Looking for inspiration for your dolls house? Look no further than Dolls House & Miniature Scene magazine, featuring expert advice, top tips, step-by-step projects, the latest trends, seasonal décor and so much more! Check out the subscription offers today!
4. Following the lines, score through the clay and cut the tiles from each other. Allow to dry.
5. Paint the tiles with acrylic paint. This tutorial uses a very thin paint so the pattern is still visible. Apply a layer of varnish.
6. Carefully sand all of the sides and then gently push the tiles back together.
Top tip! Depending on the room you’re tiling, select a colour/glaze to match your chosen room.
7. Glue the tiles to a sheet of paper. Allow the glue to dry and cut away the excess paper. Attach the finished project to your chosen area with PVA glue.
Next, learn how to create miniature flooring using paperclay.