21 May 2020
Learn how to create a miniature gate for your dolls house, miniature scene and fairy gardens using copper art clay.
No miniature garden is complete without a gate! As part of our 'miniature garden' series, Candy Chappill creates a great copper clay gate for your miniature garden scenes.
Miniature gate tutorial
By Candy Chappill.
You will need
- Art Clay copper
- Spacers 1.5mm
- Wooden texture tile
- Sanding pad 180 grit
- Paint brush
- Pot of water
- Swivel pin vice
- Drill bit 2mm
- Firing method
- Brass brush
- Copper jumpring
- Copper wire
1. Roll out your clay 1.5mm thick. You need around nine planks. For ease, roll onto a homemade wooden texture mat made from some textured laminate flooring or other suitable material.
2. Once your wooden planks are dry, arrange them on a template and sand to size. This tutorial makes a cute curved gate, but you can choose any shape. Don’t forget to make two horizontal planks.
3. Glue your gate together by applying water to each plank under your horizontal planks. Let the water soak in and apply gentle pressure for a minute or two.
Miniature lover? Find a wealth of tutorials like this one, an abundance of miniatures inspiration, interviews with the experts and lots more in Dolls House & Miniature Scene magazine!
4. Once your joins are dry, sand the ends of your horizontal planks to give it a nice clean edge.
5. Using a 2mm drill bit, drill a hole in one of the planks for the handle.
6. Fire and finish your piece. Candy fired hers in a kiln at 970°C for 30 minutes and then finished it with a simple brass brush.
7. Attach a jump ring and secure in place with some copper wire, to create your handle.
We love the finish and level of detail on this miniature gate! The joy of this tutorial is once you're familiar with the process, you can adapt it to different gate styles.
Where can I buy it?
Copper art clay available at www.cooksongold.com
Ready to grow your miniature garden? Get stuck into the series and create your own miniature haven: