18 May 2022
Learn how to make a miniature deckchair in this step-by-step tutorial by Candy Chappill, perfect for your dolls house garden or beach scene!
What would beach life be without a relaxing deckchair? Sit back and relax while enjoying the sea breeze with this miniature deckchair! Complete the project in just nine simple steps...
DIY miniature deckchair tutorial
You will need
- Wooden dowel
- Power drill
- Lolly sticks
- Double-sided tape
1. Cut two pieces of wooden dowel to 10cm in length and refine any rough edges with sandpaper.
2. Using a power drill, drill a hole in each piece 3.5cm from the end. Join the two pieces together with a small screw.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 again so you end up with two joined pieces.
4. Drill a hole in each piece (so four holes), 1cm from the end, and add some screws.
This project originally featured in the July 2015 issue of Dolls House & Miniature Scene. Pick up a digital copy of the magazine, or subscribe for year-round inspiration straight to your door or digital device!
5. Using a lolly stick, cut two 5cm strips and smooth any rough edges.
6. Using superglue, glue your two lolly pop sticks to one of your crosses, in the positions shown.
7. Once dry, glue the second cross to the same lolly pop sticks. As you do this, insert some cut pieces of straw onto your screws at the same time (this part is very tricky – utilise the bendy parts of your straw if needed).
8. Measure the length of the straws you’ve just cut, and cut out a piece of fabric to fit both these lengths, and make it 11.5cm long.
"I cut mine 11.5cm long, and 3.5cm one end, and 2cm the other."
9. Apply some double-sided tape to either end of the back of your fabric. Stick your fabric over the straws on your finished deckchair.
Now that you've made your miniature deckchair, get stuck into more of the series starting with this miniature beach hut tutorial!