08 July 2022
A day at the beach can work wonders for your appetite, but before lunch, get a perfect picnic spot set up with this miniature picnic table by Candy Chappill.
Build a miniature picnic table for your beach scene in just seven easy steps!
DIY miniature picnic table tutorial
You will need:
- Lolly sticks
- Super Glue
- Coping saw
- Power drill
- Drill bit
- Square wooden dowel
1. To make the top and benches, line up some lolly sticks (six for the top, and two each for the benches), and stick another lolly stick along them 2cm from the ends.
2. Once the glue has dried, draw a line 1cm in from the end of the lined-up sticks, and trim with a saw. Trim the cross-bar sticks to be in line too. Use some sandpaper to smooth any rough edges.
3. To make a support so you can drill the centre hole easily, cut some short lengths from lolly sticks and glue them the opposite way in the middle of the underside of your table.
This project originally featured in the December 2015 issue of Dolls House & Miniature Scene. Want to see even more? Enjoy over 10 years’ worth of guides, advice, inspiration and more with our digital library.
4. Carefully using a power drill, drill a hole in the centre of your table top, which should also go through your reinforcement from the previous step. I made my hole the same size as the base of my parasol we made previously (follow the guide here).
5. To make the legs, cut four even sections from a piece of 1x1cm dowel. Cut the ends of these sections at an angle so the table will sit flat. Don’t forget to smooth any rough edges with the sandpaper.
6. Glue your four legs in place on the underside of your table, and leave to dry.
7. Attach a new lolly stick to each side of your table legs, and once dry, your benches should just slot right on top.
Now you have the perfect spot to sit down for lunch, get ready to ‘tuck in’ to the essential seaside treat - fish and chips, in the next instalment of the miniature beach scene series. Missed a step? Head back to the blog to view the rest of the beach scene series.