10 June 2022
Learn how to make a 1/12th scale bowl of strawberries and cream using polymer clay in this quick and easy tutorial by Sadie Brown... perfect for Wimbledon or any miniature garden scene!
It's not summer without strawberries and cream, and this 1/12th scale version for your dolls house is as easy to make as 1, 2, 3!
"Strawberries and cream are synonymous with Wimbledon, having been served there since the very first tournament during the reign of Queen Victoria in 1877." – Sadie Brown
DIY miniature strawberries and cream tutorial
By Sadie Brown
You will need
- True red, white and apple green polymer clay
- Red pastel
- Sculpey Bake & Bond
- Gloss varnish
- Needle tool or sewing pin
- 1/12th scale bowl
1. Mix true red clay with grated pastel in a rich red to create the perfect strawberry shade. Mould small balls of the clay mix into individual strawberries and use a needle tool to add lots of very tiny little marks all over the fruits. Take your time over this step to ensure you achieve the best effect.
This tutorial originally featured in the July 2020 issue of Dolls House & Miniature Scene magazine – get your copy for the full tutorial, or be sure to subscribe for year-round inspiration straight to your door or digital device!
2. Line a small 1/12th scale dish with Bake & Bond and fill with strawberries. Mix Bake & Bond with white clay and drizzle over the strawberries to create the cream.
3. To make loose strawberries, mix apple green clay with a little sunflower yellow and brown to create a rich green. Roll into tiny tubes with a point at one end, flattening them with a fingernail to create the leaf shape. Put them together into little clusters of leaves, adding one set of leaves to the top of each loose strawberry.
Bake these and the strawberries and cream, allowing everything to cool. Coat the strawberries and the strawberries and cream with gloss varnish. Once dry, glue the loose strawberries to other bakes you've made or add to a polymer clay fruit bowl!
Full tutorial as featured in the July 2020 issue of Dolls House & Miniature Scene magazine.
Ready for another one from this feature? Make miniature doughnuts in 1/12th scale using polymer clay!